Sunday, April 6, 2014

Religion Post 21

Hello! I can't believe it's been over 21 weeks... Well anyways, these past two weeks I've researched the two Islam belief systems- Shi'a and Sunni.  While they have a lot of similarities, they also have some significant differences.  Islam split into Shi'a and Sunni when the Prophet Muhammad died.  His followers had to decide who would succeed him and be the leader of Islam. Shi'ites said Ali, and Sunnites chose Abu Bakr. While Islam was interesting to learn about, I still don't think it's the right religion for me.
There is a Mosque near Grosse Pointe, but I didn't get a chance to go these past few weekends as I've been super busy, and I'm going to be really busy the next few weekends, too.  Hopefully eventually I'll be able to go check it out.  I did read that I would have to wear a headscarf, and I'm not sure where to get one or how to wear it, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to figure out!  I just want to make sure I wouldn't be disrespectful if I went.
Before this week, I knew I was going to talk about why kids should look into religion on their own during my end of the year talk.  Recently, I decided that I should also talk about the benefits of knowing more about other people's religions.  There is hatred all the time toward people of other religions.  But if we took a little more time to figure out why they do what they do and uncover what makes it so mysterious, it wouldn't seem as strange.  People might be more accepting of each other.
So today I challenge you to go find out about a religion that seems weird to you!

1 comment:

  1. Hello, my name is Monica and I am from the University of St. Joseph. I think you blog is interesting. You are exploring something that most people don't even think about. I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete